Wonderful Castile Soap
A powerful yet gentle product.
Move over white vinegar and baking soda. It's time to add another can-do product to our must-have list!.. castile soap.
The product originated in Spain's Castile region (hence the name!), and olive oil was the traditional base fat for this gentle, environmentally-responsible soap. Nowadays, it's made from a variety of vegetable-derived oils including coconut, avocado, walnut, almond, hemp, and more.
So now that you know what castile soap is, what can you do with it?
There are lots of ways to use castile soap in your everyday daily cleaning... just google "castile soap uses" like we did and you'll be amazed.
Castile soap is safe enough to eat... but we wouldn't recommend it! Apparently it can be use as an all natural toothpaste... but we opted to not try that one and the taste takes a bit of getting used to!
We've listed our top 10 favourite uses - feel free to share yours!
OUR TOP 10 USES:
1. Make a natural hand or body wash: Pour one part soap and three parts water into a pump or foaming dispenser. Add you favourite essential oil for a fragrance.
2. Wash fruit and veggies: Add a squirt to a sink full of water. Rinse.
Tip: Wash produce before eating, NOT before storing (which will make it rot faster).
Tip: Firm-skinned (e.g., melons, citrus fruits) needs warm water, a scrub and rinse. Soft-skinned (e.g., strawberries, grapes) needs to soak for a few minutes.
3. Make all-purpose spray: Combine ingredients in a big bowl or jug. Stir and pour into labelled spray bottle(s). Shelf life 6 months.
1.5 L (6 cups) of hot water
60ml (¼ cup) cup liquid castile soap
- 5-10 drops of essential oil (optional)
Tip: Thyme essential oil is a powerful weapon against germs.
Tip: Make sure to put the water in the bottle first to avoid a soapy mess.
4. Make a laundry soap (not a detergent): Use ½ cup per full load
- 7 L hot water
- 1 cup bicarb soda
- 1 cup liquid castile soap
- ⅓ cup coarse salt
Dissolve dry ingredients in hot water. Add soap and stir.
5. Make a shower scrub: Mix 2-3 tablespoons of castile soap with 1/4 cup bicarb soda for a non-toxic shower scrub.
6. Wash reusable menstrual cups.
7. Clean makeup brushes.
8. Wash floors: Add a squirt to a bucketful of water.
9. Wash the car: Add a squirt to a bucket of water.
10. Wash the dog!: Simply squirt and wash.